For every woman, pregnancy time is very special and enjoyable too. The time period is about three fourth of a year (40 weeks). During this pregnancy period, you may face many uncomfortable times as well. Pain medication while pregnant is very vital and you have to find the root cause of the pain before treatment. Baby’s safety is another key thing while taking any medication. Ideally, pregnant ladies try to avoid pain medication, sometimes there is no option but to take it.
There are two ways to get relief from pain- medicinal and natural. Massage, yoga, heat therapy, relaxation therapy even some light exercises is the common ways to treat the pain naturally. Make sure you take the instructions from a qualified pregnancy massage therapist. If natural means can’t give any comfort then you have to go for medication. Recent researches reveal that during pregnancy, pain medication is not 100% safe. Always take instruction from a specialist or a health care expert before taking any medication. Here we are discussing some very common pain-relieving medicines with the side effects.
- Paracetamol- for the treatment of mild pain or fever this over the counter (OTC) medication is widely used. How it works is still unknown but it might cross the placenta. Paracetamol in standard dose is safe for the pregnant mother as well as for the bay in utero. Cryptorchidism may happen with the male babies if paracetamol is taken for a longer period. So paracetamol should be taken for the shortest period of time and in very mild to normal dose.
- Ibuprofen- ibuprofen is a non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It reduces the secretion of hormones those are responsible for inflammation or pain. It is best used to treat a toothache or fever. It is best for mild to moderate pain, but paracetamol is preferred.
During the first three months of pregnancy, this drug is not safe as it can increase the risk of miscarriage. During the second quarter, this drug is safe and can be prescribed. But in the last quarter of pregnancy, this drug is not recommended. It can increase the risk of a heart problem, high blood pressure and kidney problem for the baby. It can delay the birth of the baby as well.
- Voltaren- this is another NSAID used to treat muscle pain, period pain, arthritis. It can be used to reduce the after giving birth.
- Aspirin- another NSAID, nowadays not used commonly. It is prescribed for those women suffering from low blood clotting disorder.
- Codeine- it is for moderate to severe pain. It doesn’t have any adverse effect either on mom or the baby’s health. It only increases the constipation problem of the mother. It is used to reduce the post-surgery pain as well.
Hyperpigmentation is the pregnancy skin disorders medication. In this medication dark spots or patches start to appear in different parts of the skin. The cause of this problem is very natural, due to an increase of melanin. This will be cured naturally after the delivery. A typical example of hyperpigmentation is melasma, also known as “the mask of pregnancy,” which creates brown patches on the face.